- 1 Best Portable Fish Finder Reviews
- 1.1 1. Lucky FFW-718 Wireless Portable Sonar Fish Finder with Dot Matrix 40m Range Review
- 1.2 2. Signstek FF-003 Portable Fish Finder with LCD Display Review
- 1.3 3. Venterior VT-FF001 Portable Fish Finder with Wired Sonar Sensor Transducer and LCD Display Review
- 1.4 4. Lucky Portable Wireless Fish Finder for Shore Fishing Review
- 2 Conclusion
- 3 How can you use a portable fish finder?
Fish finders have almost become a must for every serious fisherman who wants to improve his or hers fishing skills. It may sound like a contradiction mentioning fish finders and skills, considering that fish finders make it easier to find a suitable place to throw ones hook into the water. However, they are a great tool for learning as well. Anyone who had the chance to use this kind of device for a few times will certainly get a better feeling and comprehension of the way fish are gathering in groups or of the areas they choose to populate the most.
Another great feature these devices have, is the ability to be a powerful modern device for the outdoors, while at the same time being as efficient and practical as possible. This kind of duality is essential if you plan to bring this kind of device to longer fishing and hunting trips that can last for days, or even weeks if you make a holiday out of it. Of course, we don’t expect these devices to work for weeks on end without being drained. What we are looking for is the best portable fish finder device that is suited for tasks that include practicality as well as utility in the field of fishing.
Best Portable Fish Finder Reviews
1. Lucky FFW-718 Wireless Portable Sonar Fish Finder with Dot Matrix 40m Range Review
This fish finder is a great example of a simple yet efficient device. It has a dot matrix display and a sonar frequency of 125 kHz. The depth range of this device is maximum 131 feet (40 meters), and minimum 2 feet (0.7 meters). The wireless sensor has a coverage of a 90 degrees beam angle, which makes it an encompassing device in its price range.
- Big Adjustable High-contrast Dot matrix display
- Wireless Frequency: 433 MHz
- 125 kHz Sonar Frequency
- Wireless Sensor Coverage: 90 degrees beam angle
- Depth Range Max/Min: 131 feet (40 meters)/2 feet (0.7 meters)
- Connection issues may occur
The “Lucky FFW-718 Wireless Portable Sonar Fish Finder with Dot Matrix 40m Range” model may not seem like much, but once you start using it, it unfolds and shows its true potential. The dot matrix display can be seen, at first glance, as an outdated technology, but as far as being energy efficiency goes, it has the upper hand over other fancy colorful displays of similar devices. The decent coverage and sonar frequency makes this fish finder stand out in its price range, while at the same time being extremely portable friendly.
2. Signstek FF-003 Portable Fish Finder with LCD Display Review
With this fish finder you actually get two things, a fish finder and a great transducer. With its total weight of 1.6 pounds and dimensions of 4.7 x 1.2 x 3.2 inches, this fish finder is easily portable and, therefore, perfect for mounting on your boat, kayak or any other place you choose to attach it to.
- 100-level sensitivity setting and multi levels depth range
- 512 colors TFT V240*H160 sunlight readable with white LED front light
- Depth reading from 2.0 to 240ft in 1/10th precision
- The display isn’t on the top of its task on extremely low temperatures
The “Signstek FF-003” provides you with a device that is easy to operate. Even beginners can operate this fish finder. Along with the sonar comes a transducer that needs to be mounted on your boat so it can give you the best and precise data without constant adjusting. You should keep in mind that the display device isn’t on the top of its task on extremely low temperatures, so you must have some area to preserve it from the low temperature. This fish finder is for serious fishermen and those who are aiming to become one.
3. Venterior VT-FF001 Portable Fish Finder with Wired Sonar Sensor Transducer and LCD Display Review
This Venterior VT-FF001 Portable Fish Finder has a range of depth readout from 0.6 to 100 meters, which makes it quite powerful for the price tag it carries. The display and whole layout may not seem like much, but it makes it up with features and precision.
- Very affordable
- Round transducer sensor with 7.5m cable, 45-degree beam angle
- Range of depth readout from 0.6 meters up to 100 meters
- Not suited for professionals
The “Venterior Portable Fish Finder” model is a great alternative to more expensive models. If, for example, you are a beginner in using such devices, then this is the one for you. It is easy to learn how to use it and even easier to handle, and its price makes it a great entry-level fish finder.
4. Lucky Portable Wireless Fish Finder for Shore Fishing Review
This fish finder is an upgraded version of a previous Lucky Portable Fish Finder. It is waterproof and has the rechargeable-battery duration of 6 hours. It detects the prey up to 400ft under the water surface and has no interferences from the grass when used in lakes and rivers.
- 100-level sensitivity setting and multi levels depth range
- No interferences from grass and weed
- Greyscale display
The “Lucky Portable Wireless Fish Finder” model will certainly upgrade your fishing experience. Mount it on the boat or let it float – it’s up to your preferences. With its easily readable indicators and symbols, even beginners can have fun with the device. The professionals will know how to appreciate its precision and good fishing results.
When it comes to fish finders, there are some considerations to be taken when comparing them. Some may be better suited than others for professionals; maybe the device you are about to buy may cost more, but you don’t need the covered depth readout you are paying for if you are fishing in rivers rather than the sea. These and many more things have to consider before making your decision.
The “Signstek FF-003” model is a great buy, even for the price tag it has. It delivers its professional approach perfectly and is suited for professionals and enthusiasts.
The “Lucky FFW-718” model, on the other hand, is a much more affordable model, best suited for beginners, but I may be useful for professionals too with its easy to use interface and quick sonar response. The choice is yours.
How can you use a portable fish finder?
Read carefully the manual after purchasing a fish finder. The manual provides much technical information that you are interested in reading. It’s important to do your research before buying a portable fishfinder suitable for your demand. Here are some easy steps of using the portable fish finders to make your fishing trip more enjoyable.
Step 1: Re-chargeable batteries:
Before buying, you have to think of what kinds of batteries are needed. It is better to buy re-chargeable batteries. If your fish finder has a long battery life, you should re-charge batteries after several trip in long time because rechargeable batteries are the best choice that will definitely cut your budget in the long run.
Step 2: Mounting
Every type of fish finder is mounted in different ways. Mounting depends on what kind of fish finders you have. To the fishfinder with a suction cup mounting system for the transducer, you can mount them anywhere on your boat only if you are assured that they are strongly attached to the boat and underwater. Make sure the sonar is in the water and the fish finder is not too close to the motor and motor wash because they are able to frustrate the sonar readings . To Humminbird fish finders with mounting clamp, you can mount the fish finder to the side of the boat. To wireless fish finders, you can attach the sonar unit to the line
Step 3: Do not use at high Speed
Don’t try to use portable fish finders at high speeds that will make the fish finders become unsafe, maybe broken.
Step 4: Display resolution
Almost fish finders are usually used in shallow fresh water, sometimes used in shallow saltwater but not as common. They are not as effective at great depths.
On the fishfinder screen, you can search depth, water temperature, and bottom structures. You also need to look for weed beds, fallen logs, sand, much where fish like to hide.
The display resolution for a portable fish finder must be at 480×480. The high-quality resolution provides you clear display which will help you to scan underwater.
Here are some steps to increase your fishing time by using portable fish finders.
Why do you should choose the portable fish finders amongst many types of fishfinders? Here are some strong reasons that you can consider to bring them home.
- Firstly, The portable fish finders are easy to carry with. You can bring them on any fishing trip. You can use them on your boat or from a land location.
- Secondly, adapting fish behavior. You can cast your transducer with stealth mode by using the wireless fish finder.
- Thirdly, friendly technology allows you to use them easily.
- Finally, portable fishfinders have many functions. They can be used in fresh water, saltwater, even in extreme cold water.
Above are some ways to guide you to use portable fish finders. Choosing suitable fish finders depends on your budget, requirements, fishing skills. With this guide, hope you choose suitable fish finders for your fishing enjoyment.